Their main guiding principles are:
- The good health of their customers
- The good health of our planet
- Community involvement
- Having a community-owned store
- Developing relationships with their regular customers
- Involvement in local events focussing on environmental and sustainability issues
- Open to the public: anyone can buy a share and become a co-owner of the business. A co-owner (member) is entitled to a 10% discount on all goods purchased.
Members are encouraged to volunteer their time and expertise and become actively involved in the daily running of the store. Those members are rewarded with a further substantial discount on purchases. The Co-op's goals are:-
- to make available at reasonable cost, high quality food and other goods
- offer the best health option food possible, ie; organic or biodynamic; and if that is not available, offer the next best thing e.g. chemical-free
- offer food that has been produced with environmental sensitivity
- purchase in bulk, thus offering customers the best price available on goods
- avoid waste created by over-packaging by encouraging customers to re-use jars, bags and containers
- be a part of their local community and offer service in an personable way
- be an active participant in events that help raise awareness of environmental issues
To become a member or volunteer your services at the Manly Food Co-op, visit their shop at 21B Whistler Street, Manly.
Opening hours are 10.00am – 3.00pm Mon – Fri and 10.00am – 3.00pm Sat & Sun.
Tel: 9977 0177 or email: email@example.com